Community Development Consultant (part-time)
7 days left
- Part Time
The North Oxford Association (NOA) is looking for an inspirational and experienced Community Development Consultant to lead a wide-ranging initiative to extend and deepen the Association's reach into the local community by recruiting new members and volunteer workers.
What is NOA?
The North Oxford Association is a charitable body that exists for the purpose of facilitating the provision of a wide range of services – social, educational, exercise, leisure, advisory/support and other – to the residents of North Oxford (broadly defined). Over some 50 years, NOA has grown from a small group of volunteers, who felt a need to foster a community spirit in the area, into a significant organisation, operating out of substantial premises (the North Oxford Community Centre in the centre of the Summertown area and the Pavilion at Cutteslowe Park), and with a current annual budget of around £90K. However, despite its growth in scale and complexity, and the employment of several administrative staff, NOA remains a largely membership-based and volunteer-run body working to meet the ever-changing needs of local residents.
NOA’s ‘Way Forward’.
Against this background, and via its Way Forward Group, NOA’s Council is currently undertaking a strategic review of its operations in response to two perceived challenges, namely:
- the recent gradual erosion of NOA’s membership base and, consequently, an increased struggle to recruit a diverse new generation of volunteer workers; and
- the prospective redevelopment of the surrounding area, and consequent increased uncertainty about NOA’s continuing long-term tenancy of the existing Community Centre.
Responsibilities of the Consultant.
While NOA can do little directly to mitigate the long-term redevelopment threat, it can strengthen its position by ensuring the robustness of its business model, the effectiveness of its operations, and the extent of its reach. To this end, the Consultant’s task will include formulating and implementing measures to:
- Increase NOA's visibility by initiating and facilitating new activities and events, including fostering new links with local businesses, schools, faith communities and community centres and associations.
- Improve NOA’s communications with members, potential members and hirers, including via the website, social media and marketing.
- Recruit, train, integrate and support a diverse corps of volunteers.
- Oversee the management and development of NOA's membership and volunteer databases.
- Proven leadership in a volunteer-based community setting.
- Social media and IT skills.
- Proven drive and determination in past experience and ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to relate to people of diverse ages and backgrounds. Good communication skills - spoken and written English.
- Fixed consultancy term of one year.
- 20 hours per week/flexible hours.
- Occasional evening and weekend work.
- DBS check required.
- Salary: £16,000 (fixed)
- Target starting date: Autumn 2016
The Consultant will be largely based in the NOA Community Centre, but should also expect to spend some time at the Cutteslowe Pavilion and in our local area. He/she will report regularly to the NOA Council, through the Way Forward Group.
An agreed budget will be made available to meet reasonable implementation costs.
If you would like to apply, please send a CV, a short statement (no more than 250 words) saying why you are interested, and contact details of three referees to:
Way Forward Group
North Oxford Association Community Centre
For further information, please use the above contact details.
Deadline for applications is 5 October 2016.
Interviews will take place on 18 October 2016 at the North Oxford Community Centre.
Apply for Community Development Consultant (part-time)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly