This job has now expired
£200 – 250 / day as a consultant (or if a staff member c£7,200 for 1 day / week (£36k FTE)). We are looking for someone for approx 4-5 days / month - flexible
An exciting chance to work for a small charity with a big profile. You will be an accountant with substantial experience in the charity sector. You will be experienced in budgeting, financial planning and developing / implementing sound financial systems and processes as well as producing annual accounts and regular management accounts. You will have excellent communication skills, an ability to analyse and interpret complex information and present financial information in clear ways to non-financial audiences.
· Producing the organisation’s annual financial accounts in accordance with company financial reporting standards and the charities SORP, working with colleagues as appropriate
· Production of the annual budget and mid-year reforecast in line with the Trust’s strategic plan
· In conjunction with the Finance Officer producing regular management accounts (currently monthly) and appropriate reports for all budget holders to enable ownership of budgets and effective strategic decision making
· Developing and monitoring cash flow forecasts prepared by the Finance Officer;
· To monitor income and expenditure on restricted and designated funds and, in conjunction with the Director/Deputy Director, managing the financial reporting of contractual activities;
· Supervising the submission of gift aid claims to the Inland Revenue
· Developing and maintaining financial controls, policies and procedures as appropriate for a growing organisation
· Ensuring compliance with Inland Revenue and Customs & Excise requirements as they apply to charities. Monitoring VAT threshold levels and registering / ensuring compliance with VAT reporting;
· Attend trustee meetings as necessary to provide appropriate reports for trustees
· Supporting and supervise staff and volunteers as required, according to the Trust’s policies (if the postholder is a staff member).
· Any other tasks as required.
· Qualified / experienced accountant with experience and understanding of charity finance
· Experience of all aspects of budgeting and financial planning
· Ability to develop and implement financial systems and processes
· Experience of producing management accounts to enable senior level decision making
· Experience of preparing charity statutory accounts in accordance with charity SORP
· Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills. Able to communicate financial information clearly to a range of audiences
· Ability to prioritise own work and the work of others, meet deadlines and manage workload in a pressured environment.
· Staff management experience (if applying to be a staff member, rather than a consultant)
· Computer literate particularly in Excel and knowledge of Quickbooks)
· Flexible, proactive and able to work cooperatively as part of a small team
· Willing and able to work occasional evenings.
· Experience in a small or medium sized charity
· Experience of strategic planning
· Experience of managing payroll, pensions and benefits
· Experience of production of VAT returns
Closing date – Monday 25 June – 10am; interviews Tuesday 3 July. For more information and how to apply, go to the Trust's jobs page. No agencies please
The Prisoners Education Trust is a small charity that works to promote, enable and support educational opportunities for prisoners.