Deputy Head of Service, Private Sector Fundraising
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Service, the Deputy Head of Service will be responsible for designing and implementing thematic project proposals and the necessary financial and administrative procedures and systems ensuring full integration at global and national levels.
Established in 1950, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR, www.unhcr.org is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. A staff of around 6,650 people in more than 110 countries continues to help 34.4 million people today.
The Deputy Head of Service (PSFR) is one of three P5 senior managers supporting the Head of Service. S/he will manage and coordinate the work of Resource Management and Thematic Project Proposal Units of Private Sector Funding Raising (PSFR) Headquarters, Geneva. In her/his capacity as Deputy Head of Service, s/he will also interact periodically with the High Commissioner, Deputy High Commissioner and other senior managers in UNHCR for consultations, appropriate relationship management of major donors and will directly and indirectly supervise a number of colleagues through weekly interaction with the entire PSFR network to support resource management and thematic projects and proposals related activities at HQ and functional management of PSFR Global staff involved in the delivery of operations process.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Service, the Deputy Head of Service will be responsible to design and implement thematic project proposals and necessary financial and administrative procedures and systems ensuring full integration at global and national levels.
• Responsible for the development and management of Thematic and Resource Management teams at Headquarters; this involves providing appropriate service and guidance to the global PSFR network for project and proposal development and financial and budget systems;
• Functional management of global PSFR staff involved in the delivery of operations processes;
• Deputizes for Head of Service in her/his absence from the duty station;
• Manages the Thematic Project & Proposal Development team, responsible for developing the thematic and programme content for fundraising outreach, servicing individual giving and leadership giving with project content, proposal writing and development, liaison with Bureaus, technical staff/sections and UNHCR offices in the field;
• Ensures excellence in PSFR’s thematic fundraising function in terms of project content, proposal development and timely reporting to donors;
• Guides the thematic project and proposal development team to establish clear and responsive HQ support systems for global fundraisers;
• Establishes clear strategy, policy and systems for thematic fundraising activities globally;
• Identifies UNHCR’s key campaign funding opportunities to gain agreement of funding priorities for project to be offered to potential donors;
• Leads the strategic development by developing high quality, strategic, measurable project proposals and annual funds that can be presented to international and national donors;
• Guides colleagues in developing and disseminating UNHCR’s fundraising strategy and objectives by providing compelling argument for donor support to UNHCR;
• Works closely with the other divisions/services/bureaux to identify programmes that require funding and developing project proposals;
• Manages the over-all PSFR annual budget for Headquarters and Region by detailing allocations to various work units, monitoring of expenditure, and providing guidance to admin and finance staff for appropriate and timely recording of income;
• Ensures timely preparation of quarterly and annual income and expenditure reports for the senior managers and fulfilling programming, monitoring and reporting requirements as set by Results-Based-Management parameters;
• Oversees annual planning and budget process including relevant FOCUS* entries and effective use of MSRP** financial system;
• Develops required management systems to ensure efficient management of key projects, smooth work flow, earmarking of funds and corrective action in the light of any under performance.
• Guides and supervises the support administrative staff to ensure timely issuance and renewal of staff contracts; updating of staffing tables, appropriate and fair application of rules and regulations and advises colleagues on various staff entitlements.
• Key liaison with Division of Human Resources Management (DHRM) on behalf of PSFR on all recruitment, staff development and training issues;
• Represents PSFR at HQ Contracts Committee for effective administration of supplier systems. In liaison with the Legal Services seeks and obtains clearance for supplier contracts;
• Ensures that all administrative and financial tasks are completed in accordance with UNHCR’s policies and procedures;
• Advanced university degree in Political Science, Business Administration, Economics or Finance
• A minimum of 15 years fundraising experience with major fundraising organisations and/or with humanitarian agencies. Of 15 years required experience, at least 10 years should be in an international capacity directly relevant to the current position that should include exposure to financial reporting, procurement of services, consultancies, budget planning and fundraising with an expertise that goes beyond the theoretical and technical knowledge of their field.
• Demonstrate at least 10 years experience leading a team proving a long-term vision and strategic perspective.
• Skills in developing and presenting effective management information on fundraising and financial/budgetary data;
• Excellent knowledge of English.
• Understanding of the complexities of working with an international organization with multiple geographical operational sites is an asset
• Outstanding interpersonal and self-motivational skills.
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Proven project management and excellent organization skills.
• Fluency in another relevant UN language is desirable.
How to apply:
Please send BY EMAIL ONLY a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) to Diana Ruano by clicking on the 'Apply now' button. All applications are confidential.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “Deputy Head of Service PSFR - UNHCR” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is 21 May, 2012