The Media Legal Defence Initiative is a charity that helps journalists defend their rights. We provide support for the defence of journalists and independent media outlets, and do so through financial grants as well as by helping develop legal arguments and providing legal support. We also run a grants programme through which we support national defence centres for journalists. This is an exciting opportunity to join a young organisation and help build it to become a leader in the legal defence of journalists and independent media worldwide.
To assess and process applications for grants and take active part in the development and management of MLDI’s grant making programme. Working in a small team, the Grants Officer is also MLDI’s frontline for emergency assistance requests from journalists, and liaises with these journalists and the lawyers representing them on a day-to-day basis. The Grants Officer has day-to-day responsibility for grants administration and database management. The role involves occasional travel to conduct partner visits.
· Handle queries from prospective and successful applicants and their lawyers or representatives.
· Assess grant applications to MLDI’s grants scheme – analysing applications, obtaining appropriate advice and references, reaching a judgement or recommendation for submission to the chief Executive officer, committees or trustees; handling relationships throughout the process until the application is either successful or declined.
· Prepare and present written case reports with detailed analysis and recommendations
· Monitor grants awarded including: agreeing appropriate outcomes and reporting regimes, analysing monitoring reports, occasional visits to partners to see work in progress and authorising grant payments.
· Ensure that grant files and online databases are kept up to date and that information contained therein is accurate and reflecting the current position of the applications/grants.
· Ensure that the applications section of the website is kept up to date and that the information is accurate and reflects current grant-making policy.
· Work closely with colleagues in the management of grants systems and activity so that we know the accurate status of all applications at any time.
· Commission and manage external consultants to undertake a range of programme activity, including research and evaluation.
· To take an active and development role with colleagues in work to enhance the capacity and effectiveness of grantees
· Attend relevant conferences and seminars and occasionally speak at these events on MLDI’s behalf.
· Liaise closely with the Chief operating Officer and other operational staff to ensure that grants are attributed to the appropriate funds
Candidates should send a CV and covering letter, including two references, to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting “MLDI – GRANTS OFFICER” in the subject line.
Alternatively, you can apply by post, to:
Media Legal Defence Initiative
The Grayston Centre
28 Charles Square
London N1 6HT
Only candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted.
Closing date: 22 April 2012